Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It has been a year since Lily came home

On August 5, 2010 Lily came home from the hospital.  It was one of the most exciting and scary days of my life.  For the first 33 days of her life she was watched over and we were trained by the professionals at the Utah Valley NICU, but now we were going to be on our own.

That morning we went to give Lily her morning bottle and see how she had done through the night, to make sure she was still on track to come home.  She, of course had done great and was ready to come home.  We still had to wait for the doctor to come around and check her out before she was discharged and since Lily needed to sleep, Nate and I took one last opportunity to go eat together.  We went to Mimi's for breakfast since it was about 8:30 am.  We went to the craft store to buy some materials to make bows for Lily's hair and pick up a few more onsies.  We were so excited to go get Lil, but they told us to come back some time after 10am to make sure the doctor had a chance to do her examination.

Well 10 am rolled around and we were right there to get her.  We packed up all her things, received the last instructions from the nurse and we were ready to go. Wow she was still so little!

Nate went down to get the car and the NICU nurse walked Lily and I down to the front entrance of the hospital.  The Nurse checked out Nate's installation skills to approve that the car seat had been properly installed.  Yes he passed that test with flying colors.  Then we both got in the car.  We hadn't even made it out of the parking lot when Nate broke down in tears.  I think all the stress from the past 33 days and the thoughts of us being on our own had finally surfaced.  I don't know why he was so nervous he is amazing with Lily and currently prefers to hang out with "dad-a-da" as he is currently referred to.

Here is a picture of Lily in her bouncer, which later became her bed because it was the only place she would sleep for months afterward.

She is as beautiful today as she was the day we brought her home.  I can't believe how much she has grown and the attitude she has now.  We are so blessed to have her as part of our family.

We went out to eat to celebrate her 1 year home anniversary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment